GRC is Dead

I have to admit, I don't really understand greedy desperation. Or desperate greed. For example, although I enjoy having a decent income, I don't obsess about the big score. Someday I'd like a moderate score for a little extra financial security, but I'm not about to compromise my lifestyle or values to get it. As a business I know who my customers are and I make every effort to provide them with as much value as possible.

That's why I don't grok this whole GRC obsession (Governance, Risk, and Compliance) among certain sectors in the vendor community. It reeks of unnecessary desperation like the happily married drunk at the bar seething at all the fun of the singles partying around him. He's got it good, but that's not enough.

One of the first things I covered over at Gartner was risk management, and I even started the internal risk research community. This was before SOX, and once that hit a few of us started adding in compliance coverage. Early on I started covering the predecessors to today's GRC tools, and was even quoted in Fortune magazine saying there was almost no market for this stuff (some were predicting it would be billions). That, needless to say, pissed off a few vendors. Most of which are out of business or on life support.

Gunnar Peterson seems to feel the same. He sees GRC as letting your company become audit-driven, rather than business-driven. He is, needless to say, not betting his career on GRC.

Now I'm about to rant on GRC, but please don't mistake this as criticism of governance, risk management, or compliance. All are important, and tightly related, but they are tools to achieve our business goals, not goals in and of themselves.

GRC however is a beast unto itself. GRC is now code for "selling stuff to the C-level". It has little to do with real governance, risk, and compliance; and everything to do with selling under-performing products at inflated prices. When a vendor says "GRC" they are saying, "here's our product to finally get us into the Board Room and the CEO's office". The problem is, there isn't a market for GRC. Let's look at the potential buyers:

0 Comment::

 
Top BlogsSoftwareBlogRankers.comTopOfBlogsSoftware BlogsEnterprise Content Management SolutionsSoftware BlogsTechnology Blogs - Blog Rankingsecms,cms,content management

Enterprise Content Management Solutions Copyright © 2009